Friday, March 17, 2006

I wanted to revisit yesterday's poem. There were many things I did not like about it, but some things I liked a lot. So, here is another go:
Marian Sairaala

The drunks are in room four:
Let them have light & time
on the bare beds, then send
them parched into the streets.

Some withered women lie
on beds along the wall.
Breathing in masks, they rasp
a dirge that lasts all day.
Dead without death, they are
their own decayed tombstones.

Outside the sun's come out,
the streets shine with run off,
another spring begun,
while winter clings on in
the green hospital halls.
Mainly I thought I made myself too much the story. An un-centered poetry is a better poetry. I'm not sure if I killed the optimistic ending, but I think the realization that spring comes and the weak linger in winter is not inapproriate.

My ankle, by the way, is much better today. I can actually walk on it, taking care that I don't bend it. Luckily nothing was broken.

3 Comments:

At 4:12 AM, Blogger a-rube said...

I like this one and I learned a lot from your revisions.

I find this image incomplete:

'Dead without death, they are
their own decayed tombstones'

Not to be idiotic, but stones don't decay. I can't get anything visual in my imagination here because of this conflict of images.

'spring comes and the weak linger in winter' is a powerful phrase... I know you are not generally a 'titler' of your poems but this might do for one.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Lee said...

The lines you quote are one of the first ideas I had. ("The drunks are in room four" was the first image and line to come to mind.) So I feel it is essential to the poem, as it was essential to my hospital visit. But it has caused me trouble, though perhaps not the literal trouble it causes you. It just sounds wrong somehow.

First the literal-mind response: Decaying stone is used to describe crumbling old stonework, etc...

Originally I had "crumbling" there, but the meter was too whacked to approve of that. So I replaced it with "decayed", adding a soft d-sound to the goe witht he d's of the previous line.

Looking at it now, what may work is:

Dead without death, they are
their own crumbling headstones.

The "head" is softer than "tomb", which is what really threw the cadence off...

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger a-rube said...

Yes, I like that better. Crumbling seems to me a more vivid image for what you are describing than decaying.

I am drawn to comment on these lines mainly because I think it is a powerful moment in the poem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home