Friday, April 16, 2004

Mini-Snobs

Matilda's worldview is more & more often formed solely from her peer group. So requests for trendy toys, a skateboard with flames, and various other items deemed important by her schoolmates have frequented our conversations. On Wednesday evening I gave in to her request for a battle-top (my own name for it). At the S-Market in Ruoholahti (a local grocery store) I bought one for her. She was very grateful and excitedly took it to school the next morning. Little did I know, but I'd bought a cheap imitation battle-top. The boys teased her that her 3€ Dracco Spin couldn't compete with their 15€ Bleyblades. She proceeded to win the first two battles-royale, but disaster struck on the third bout. The top launcher seized up & the pull cord stretched. Matilda said the boys laughed at her cheap toy. These things will happen, but it seems so stupid.

This morning, I bought her another on the way to school. It's launcher seemed less stiff, & so there was probably something wrong with the first one to start things off. I'm glad Matilda didn't feel the need to get the Bleyblade. I hope she kicks some snooty boy butt at recess today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home