Thursday, April 29, 2004

Two Sorta Haiku from a month ago:

Crocus & snow
side by side
I, too, am confused



The young sun
melts rigid ice
at last, decision
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Matilda wore her homemade May Day hat to school today; they are having an early May Day party. The hat is made of green construction paper with a stapled on yellow ribbon chin strap. Beads dot the hat, multicolored crepe paper streamers hang from the brim, and the crest has a crepe flower on a pile of streamers. The hat radiated warmth on our gray morning commute. As always, Matilda is excited about a party.

I admire her courage. I was too conscious of other people at her age. I would never have been able to wear such a hat on a bus full of people on what was, for them, a normal morning commute. It wasn't until much, much later that I developed the "who cares" attitude of someone who knows he'll never measure up. (Of course, I'm the only judge I'll never satisfy. Well, and maybe my mother, too...) And even now, I'm boxed in by these invisible constraints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home