Monday, May 03, 2004

I think this blog has not accurately portayed me. It says too little about what makes me happy, what makes up my days, and generally leaves the impression of a maudlin boy that never outgrew his teenage pathos. I will attempt to remedy this by inserting more of what makes me happy.

That said, as I hope anyone that knows me will say, one thing about me is certain: I love food. I love trying new foods, cooking food, eating food. I love the whole process from market to table, (if I didn't live in an apartment I'd like it from garden to table, too). The colors, the smells, the possibilities seem endless. Though the season for such things is nearly passed (thank the lord), here's something I whipped up last night:

I improvised (don't have the recipe anymore) a Japanese Beef Stew that I found very tasty. I tried a recipe once long ago which formed the basis for my attempt, but otherwise I winged it.
    1 lb. Roast beef, sliced into thin strips
    4 Medium sized potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin strips
    2 Medium sized onions, (you guessed it) sliced into thin strips

    Broth:
    2c. Beef broth
    4-5T. Soy sauce
    3T. Red wine
    ½-1T. Molasses (or use brown sugar)
    ½t. Ginger

    Fry beef and onions together in cast iron skillet, adding pepper, for about 10 mins, or until onions translucent, beef browned.

    Add broth mixture to skillet, bring to boil, add potato, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potato is tender. Skim off the scum that rises to the top. (Is that a political statement?)

    I added thinly sliced yellow pepper to the bowl as it was served, which I liked. Maybe shitake mushrooms would be good, too, lightly cooked and added at the end...
Matilda and Owen both ate it up, though they are pretty picky about some things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home