Thursday, March 02, 2006

Today's first poem is actually a multi-day production. I started it on Sunday, reordered it yesterday and finished it today.
Patience

There was a time when storms
darkened daily the sky.
Mere thunder proved too weak
to break the granite cliffs,
but time & slow seasons
combined with the soft rain
to wear those cliffs away.
to carry them away.

[Edit: 3 Mar 2006 12:31]
This was originally the second verse to another poem. But I lost the thread of the poem before I'd finished it and decided both were better on their own.

I considered every combination for the second line, but still don't know which is best:
daily darkened the sky.
or
darkened the sky daily.
Maybe none really work and that is what I'm noticing. The inspiration for the lines is not hard to guess: Outside my bedroom/office window is Kotkakallio (Eagle Cliffs), snow covered granite cliffs. There is a massive mushroom shaped water tower at the top. It is lit a deep blue at night.

Here is the one-time first verse, almost as it was written on Sunday:
Silence

You say nothing, & I
accept your silence as
the snow accepts sunlight:
melting as it reflects
the invisible rays.
There is a certain mood here that appeals to me. Maybe it's just knowing that comfortable silence is something I aspired toward. Too often I fill the empty air with pointless jabber instead of listening, accepting.

1 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Lee said...

The new last line is much better. I don't know what I was thinking about the original. Repeating cliff there bothered me, but it just didn't work anyway.

One image I had will conceiving the verse was of ice wearing granite to sand through the long millenia. But I couldn't succinctly express that yesterday. The new ending implies that sentiment to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home