Friday, December 19, 2003

Owen's limber tongue

Owen's words are coming fast & furious now, each day he busts out new ones, dazzling his doting parents. He's a natural charmer, & it even shows in his labored speech. Over the past few weeks he's exclaimed at random times, "I happy". Where he's learned the concept of happiness, I'm not sure, where he's picked up the good humor to revel in it is a mystery, why he says it when he can't vocalize more trite concepts speaks volumes about the boy.

As I undressed him for sauna last night he said without prompting, "I good day." He'd been to the park with his buddy Elias & then they'd played more at Elias' home. When I asked what he'd done at the park, he said, "Play. Car. Truck. Chugga." (Chugga = train).

He's begun listing the people he knows. Last night at dinner he went round the table "Isä, Äiti, Da, O-we" pointing at each in turn.

A couple nights earlier he said "Tank uu", for the first time as he left the dinner table. I replied, "You're welcome." With casual indifference he said, "Yeah, yeah."

The night before that, I said to him as he left the table, "Say 'thank you' for the food." He looked up and said instead, "Ei good!" As if his opinion of dinner made gratitude impossible.

He also generally speaks the correct language for his audience. I'm impressed that he's sorted that out even before he has much of a vocabulary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home