Thursday, March 02, 2006

The second poem, written today, is slightly different in form. For a while now I've been writing predominately in trimeter and I wanted to try something else. Once, this was my preferred form. (Yes, I guess this is an admission that I find form necessary for my poems.)
Ribbon Road

There is nothing reminding me of who
I am, no pictures frame my memories.
There is just this road cutting between two
points, both unreal. One is the frozen sea,
the other graves piled on a snowy hill.
Somewhere between this beginning & end
I'll find myself, if I look hard enough.

Well, As I typed the poem in I dropped the last two lines I have in my notebook and replaced them with the final line you see above. As a curiosity I give you the previous ending:
I'll make my mark, before time takes away
this haphazard collection I call "me".
I think my revised ending is better, though the meaning is slightly changed. I think the new ending is closer to my original intention.

1 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger Lee said...

I must admit, writing English poetry in a "rare" meter makes me happy. I'll take what I can get. It does make me wonder why it is rare. Presumably that means it doesn't make good verse, but I find my natural cadence is best expressed this way. I find in blank verse that I often wrap two extra syllabels into the next line.

The only difficulty I find is using long words, but short words are so much more direct.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home