Friday, May 07, 2004

For the third year I'm playing baseball with the Urhot. We lost our first game 11-6 against the Vantaa Giants, but it was a good day anyway, what with the sun and warm weather (warmest 5th of May ever). The Giants are a good team to play since we match up pretty evenly against them. They are almost 100% expatriate Americans. Personally, I had a good game going 2-for-5, with one hit just missing being a home run. I also popped up to short, struck out swinging (first at-bat of the year) and got on base with an E6. The near home run was a bit disappointing since it ended up a long single. I turned the corner at first and slowed up to find out where the ball was, but the hesitation cost me. Instead of bouncing through the fence and becoming an ground rule double, it found a fence post and bounced staight back to the center fielder. Since I'd slowed up, making second was risky and I returned to first so I would not have made an out. We didn't have a first base coach out there, which would have let me run hard without worrying about the decision to go for two. (I was told later about where the landed, I was running and knew only that I'd hit it high and deep to center field.) Tony Jones, the opposing pitcher was impressed. He looked over at me with a nod and a smile.