Sunday, July 11, 2004

Two fourteen year old nihilists came cruising out of the woods, recklessly pulling up to the Siwa door. I stood outside the shop waiting for Melina and Owen. Before too long the boys came out with suckers. They pulled the wrappers off and dropped them on the ground. The old curmudgeon I am becoming stirred into action. "Is that a trash can?", I asked the boys. Surprised, defiant looks accompanied their bold, "Yes." I continued, "You live around here. Why throw trash on the ground?" After some intense eye contact I looked away, tired of being a moralizing old fart. One boy reached down, picked up his wrapper and attempted to throw it into the trash can a couple of feet away. It fell to the ground. He then picked it up and put it in. "Are you happy now?", he asked. Still defiant, it seemed he knew littering was a punishible offense, and a little guilt made him listen to me. "Yes," I answered. "I am happy. Thank you very much." They rode away shaking their heads, one wrapper still on the ground. (The other boy seemed to think I was not talking to him, too.) I waited for Melina and Owen, bothered by the whole thing. Should I have kept my mouth shut? Did it matter? Could I have done it better? Probably.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home