Friday, May 21, 2004

Who says poetry doesn't pay? Thursday morning I discovered that Grasslimb will give me $10 for a poem I wrote. It's a nice gesture since I've never been payed more than a contributor's copy or two. That works out to about $0.34½ per word. I'd offered her longer poems, but the editor went for the pricier one...

Interestingly enough I chose to send my poems to Grasslimb because after randomly searching poetry journals online I noticed she'd published Warren Carrier in a previous issue. I took it as an omen, since he's the only "established poet" I've discussed my work with, and submitted. The poem she picked was the only one in the bunch improved by his editing pen.

I offer you in full, my most expensive text:
    Waiting for Winter

    I dream it tumbles
    to the numb earth,

    careless over
    the bare branches,
    yellow grass.

    Soft on the graves,
    cold on the roads,
    it hides, shows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home